Brand Story: Michela Watson of Michela Watson Photography
Welcome to the Brand Story Series at The Preset Market — a blog series created to showcase unique stories and lessons learned from diverse small business owners from all over the world. To share your story, click here! Today, we are so excited to introduce you to Michela Watson!
Please tell us about yourself and your small business.
“Hey there, friend! My name is Michela Watson and I’m a fine art wedding and portrait photographer. Currently, I’m based in South Florida but my heart is everywhere. I love traveling for my “work” — if you can even call it that. From vineyard weddings set in the Blue Ridge Mountains to lakeside celebrations amidst the New England countryside, I’ve been so blessed to document genuine people in stunning locations.
Along with weddings, I truly have a heart for growing families. Coming from a large Italian family myself, I understand the incredible importance of documenting every stage of life. I even began my photography journey at the ripe age of 14. My sister, convinced she was the next Disney Channel star, was in need of headshots. I snagged my mom’s consumer-grade camera, took a few photos, and made a Facebook page. Though I cringe a little at those images, they’re such a sweet reminder of where it all started—with family.”
If you were giving advice to a new business owner, what 3 lessons would you share for getting started?
- Be a servant first. It may not be popular to go the extra mile at times, but it’s always worth it. Your clients will not only thank you for it, but it’s why they’ll return to you time and again.
- Value yourself. Sure, you’re not going to charge what an expert would as a newbie, but that doesn’t mean you don’t have worth! Your time, talent, materials, and experience are all valuable. Stick to your guns!
- Become friends with failure and give yourself grace! It happens to all of us at every stage! Embrace it, learn from it, and figure out how it can propel you into a better season for your business.
List 3 business decisions, investments, or people who have made the biggest difference in your small business success.
- Film. This is an investment I’m constantly making in my business, and I wouldn’t change it for the world. It’s the medium I use to create my signature look, and it helps me to feel most like the artist I am and want to be.
- My rebrand with With Grace and Gold. I invested with Andra and Kelly at the start of 2020 — an interesting time to do so to say the least — but I’m so thankful now that I did! It’s given me a leg up with fellow high-end vendors and the ability to confidently enter the luxury market.
- Shea Christine + Kelsey Schwenk. Shea is the one I shadowed as a young teenager. She’s been so generous with business advice, resources, and wedding referrals. This year, she referred me to my highest paying client yet. Kelsey taught me all things film! She, too, has been an open book with me and has generously shared her wisdom from day one. I wouldn’t be where I am without either of them!
What is a fun fact about your business?
“My mom drove me to my sessions in the early days. I’d have to ask her to tell the couple to kiss because I was SO bashful about any physical affection. My poor clients!”
Follow along with Michela’s journey on Instagram!
Share the Post:
Discover your Preset Style
Transform your phone photography with just a tap, using The Preset Market's mobile Lightroom® presets!
Transform your Phone Photography