Brand Story: Sandra Williams of Finishing Touch
Welcome to the Brand Story Series at The Preset Market — a blog series created to showcase unique stories and lessons learned from diverse small business owners from all over the world. To share your story, click here! Today, we are so excited to introduce you to Sandra Williams!
Please tell us about yourself and your small business.
“My name is Sandra Williams, I am the founder and principal event planner of Finishing Touch. I began my career in the event industry in 2002, by working with various non-profit organizations in planning fundraising events in Southern California. After spending three years planning non-profit and corporate events, I officially launched Finishing Touch in 2005. Finishing Touch is an event planning and design company located in Honolulu, Hawaii. Finishing Touch provides full service event planning for personal celebrations, weddings, corporate events and charity fundraisers. We serve a wide range of clients from engaged couples to businesses, nonprofit organizations, schools to individuals who are looking for assistance in planning their unique events. Since founded in 2005, we have served over 600+ clients in creating unique and memorable events. We love making dreams into reality and turning a vision into action.”
If you were giving advice to a new business owner, what 3 lessons would you share for getting started?
- Come up with a mission statement and remember the WHY. Defining your purpose and abiding by your mission statement will help to provide clarity in the midst of uncertainties. Remembering your purpose and your WHY will help carry you through the different seasons your business will be facing throughout the years.
- Get better before you get bigger. I highly encourage building a strong foundation for your business by coming up with a great work process that you are proud of and easy to explain to your clients. Many new business owners tend to focus too much on trends or trying to build a large number of followers on social media before any foundation for a business is built. The reality is that a strong foundation and quality work is what will make your business lasts for years to come, and not by numbers or trends that will fade over time.
- Be willing to learn. When I started Finishing Touch in 2005, I thought I knew it all. I thought I knew how to plan events and people should just hire me right off the bat! But after 15 years of being in this business, I can honestly say that I did not know it all, and I am still learning. Every day, I am learning how to connect with my clients better, how to show the most care in everything I do, etc. Yes, you will definitely get better at what you do over time, but connections with clients and relationships with colleagues grow over times and it gets better with age and experience. Always be willing to learn, because the day you stop learning is the day you still stop growing.
List 3 business decisions, investments, or people who have made the biggest difference in your small business success.
- I went gutsy by going down to the Honolulu business office at the age of 25 with my $20 to get my business GE license for Finishing Touch… and the rest was history!
- About 5 years ago, I remember going through a season of feeling really burnt out and uninspired. I was really busy and my calendar was full of events… not to mention, I was also a mother of 2 young boys at that time. After that season, I decided to scale back the number of events I took and focus on choosing clients and events I feel highly connected with. I also started taking at least one month off during the summer to travel with my kids and family. In the past, I would tell myself I couldn’t afford to take any time off — let alone during the summer, our peak season — but after taking the time off to travel and after being more selective with the clients and events I work with, this change has given me renewed energy and excitement about my business again. Learning how to scale back and say no to projects that may consume me is one of the best lessons and decisions I have learned over the past few years.
- Celebrating Finishing Touch’s 15th year anniversary with a new brand and website designed by With Grace and Gold! The design and planning process with Kelly and Andra have been so inspiring and working with them really inspired me to get better at what I do. It was the prefect gift for myself – a fresh new brand and website to celebrate this milestone and a much needed new start after this pandemic year!
What is your favorite quote?
My favorite quote in business: As entrepreneurs, we must believe “The best is yet to come!”
Follow along with Sandra Williams of Finishing Touch on Instagram!
Share the Post:
Discover your Preset Style
Transform your phone photography with just a tap, using The Preset Market's mobile Lightroom® presets!
Transform your Phone Photography