5 Quick, Easy Ways to Monetize Your Blog
You’re creating purposeful blog content, you’re repurposing your content in creative ways, and you’ve got a dedicated audience of readers… So, now what? How else can you use your blog to build your business and brand? Today, we’re sharing 5 ways to monetize your blog.
About Blog Monetization
Blog monetization is the process of earning revenue from your blog — using your blog content to earn revenue on behalf of your business. Before we share 5 ways to monetize your blog, here are a couple of key reminders:
- Blog monetization isn’t right for every content creator or small business owner – and that’s OK! For some small business owners, using your blog as a portfolio or journal can be more than enough to build your audience and grow your business.
- Any blog monetization you do should align with your business, your vision, and your goals. Pursuing something outside of your mission and vision could diminish clarity about your business and brand. Just ask yourself: Will this serve my Ideal Client? If your answer is “yes” it’s likely you can confidently proceed.
5 Ways to Monetize Your Blog
- Advertisements. Advertisements, from places like Google Adsense, are a common way to monetize your blog. When you sign up to showcase advertisements within your blog, you can earn a commission from visitors’ subsequent purchases or clicks. Earning meaningful revenue from Google Adsense can be a slow and steady process, because earning revenue is dependent upon your visitors — the amount of visitors your blog receives, and whether those visitors follow the advertisements displayed.
- Selling your own advertisements. Rather than displaying advertising through a system like Google Adsense, you could also consider selling advertisements directly to businesses. Maybe you have a Directory or a Resources page through which you list different businesses or resources. Could you sell a listing within your Directory or Resources page directly to a business?
- Affiliate links. An affiliate link is a link that generates revenue when a visitor clicks your link and subsequently makes a purchase. Many systems small business owners use — 17Hats, Basecamp, FloDesk, ConvertKit — have affiliate programs. (The Preset Market has its own Affiliate Program, too!) When you sign up for the affiliate program and retrieve your one-of-a-kind link, you’ll be equipped to share your affiliate link as often as you’d like. Affiliate links are beneficial for small business owners who often share about the products and resources they use — and want their readers to know about those same products and resources, too. It’s important to note: When you share affiliate links within your blog post content or throughout your website, you’ll need to include an affiliate disclaimer. (In other words, visitors and readers need to be informed, clearly and transparently, that they are clicking on an affiliate link.)
- Sponsored posts. Sponsored posts are blog posts created in partnership with a business or brand. Essentially, a business or brand pays you to create a blog post about a product or service they offer. We believe sponsored posts should only be created if the sponsorship is aligned with your business and mission — and doesn’t take your readers away from your business or your own revenue-generating products and services. Places like RewardStyle and ShopStyle Collective help to connect content creators with sponsors.
- Advertising your own services. We believe the best way to monetize your blog is to showcase “advertisements” for — and to write blog posts about — the products and services you offer. Advertising your own products and services is the best way to keep visitors on your website, to keep visitors engaged with your business and your content, and to earn meaningful revenue on behalf of your blog and business. Your blog post visitors can come from all over the web — from social media, from Pinterest — so showcasing your products and services within your blog content can be a helpful way of informing readers about all you have to offer through your business! What better way to move your business forward?
Share the Post:
Discover your Preset Style
Transform your phone photography with just a tap, using The Preset Market's mobile Lightroom® presets!
Transform your Phone Photography